Sunday, June 3, 2012

Week 3: Scheduling

The medical student who I am working with got married last Friday, so he spent the week at the beach with his wife. My main goal was to schedule times with the Simulation Lab to test our study participants. Once I finally was able to arrange a meeting to schedule, the women in the Sim Lab were very helpful. I scheduled various dates during June, and they helped me pick times that would be convenient for the residents, EMTS and nurses so they could come right when their shifts ended. I then created a google spreadsheet and emailed all participants so they could sign up for a time that works for them. Unfortunately, only two people have signed up so far. It looks like my task for next week will be trying to convince more people to participate.

On Tuesday, the medical students and I all had to present our projects and progress to Dr. Terndrup. He is the chair of the Emergency Department and the JC alum who offered the internship. Only about half of the group got to present, so I will be presenting sometime next week.

We had a meeting at the Life Lion hanger on Wednesday. Life Lion is Penn State Hershey's helicopter emergency transport service. We learned about how Life Lion operates and the history of the program. They are expecting a new helicopter in the next few weeks which they are very excited about. I was surprised that their helicopters can be flown with GPS coordinates, much like commercial airplanes. They are the only service that serves Central PA that offers this service. This is helpful in bad weather conditions and allows Life Lion to fly in any kind of weather except for thunder storms and ice.


No comments:

Post a Comment